30 Dec 2023

Top Ten Books of 2023

I don't expect to finish any more books this year, so I'm ready to call it now :-)

Not counting rereads or novel-length fanfics - my top ten of 2023.

The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches - Sangu Mandanna Just utterly charming and I think possibly the best book of the year. I think I first heard about it on TikTok and immediately downloaded it, as it totally sounded like something I would enjoy. An enjoyable stand-alone novel that's well worth the hype.
The Witch is Back - Sophie H. Morgan I stumbled upon this at The Strand in NYC and was immediately charmed by both the cover and the back blurb. Fortunately it lived up to my expectations, and is once again a rare stand-alone fantasy novel.
Queen's Gambit - Walter Tevis Every bit as good as the Netflix series, and I'm utterly amazed at how the author managed to make chess strategy sound interesting even to somebody who only know the bare bones of the game.
Legends and Lattes - Travis Baldree Touted as a "cozy fantasy" which meant I had to see what that was all about. It lived up to the description, in being a fantasy with extremely low stakes, where the main part of the plot was establishing a coffee shop and having it thrive. I've recently gotten my hands on the prequel, which promises to be even more up my aisle, as it takes place in a book shop!
The Love Hypothesis - Ali Hazelwood SO hyped that I was very reluctant to read it, but I came across a very cheap copy, so decided to give it a try. It turned out that it deserved the hype, and was yet another example of the fake dating trope done right. Really sweet, and even the 3rd act conflict was handled in a believable manner.
Christmas Every Day - Beth Moran Despite the titel - not actually a Christmas book! Cozy book filled with small town charm, descriptions of turning a house into a home, and even a book club thrown into the mix!
A Deadly Education - Naomi Novik A very pleasant surprise! Harry Potter if Hogwarts had no professors and the castle itself was filled with evil monsters out to get you. The writing style took some getting used to, as it was more tell than show, but it actually worked with the atmosphere of the book, and I sped my way through it. It's the first in a trilogy, with the second book every bit as good as the first - unfortunately I have yet to receive the third from the library. Soon, I hope!
Crumbs - Danie Stirling An absolutely ADORABLE graphic novel. It can be read for free on Webtoons, and I highly recommend you go google it. I knew I had to own it for my physical library though, and fortunately my sisters were kind enough to gift it to me for my birthday.
Love at First Psych - Cara Bastone I think this is probably my favourite since "Call Me Maybe". Just utterly sweet.
Kys din kæreste på rejsen - Pia Konstantin Berg Set in the time of covid and the first lock-down. One of the few Danish books I've read this year. It came highly recommended by Nina and did not disappoint. I laughed my way through it, and loved Caroline's unlikely friendship with John.

No comments: