23 Dec 2019

2019 Playlist



1. Sober Up - AJR, Rivers Cuomo
Inspiration from Brenda - I think I get most of my musical inspiration from her and Lars :-P There are always a few on her list that become instant favourites (so thank you, Brenda! :-D ) and this was it this year.

2. New Days - Delta Rae
This one's weird - the text's sad, but the song feels hopeful. It's a bit more 'croony' (yes, it's a word) than I usually go for, but it's up-beat enough that I don't mind it.

3. Woman - Kesha & The Dap-Kings Horns
Brenda called this her "girl-power anthem" and I TOTALLY agree! I love the laughter about one minute in :D

4. Wolves - Selena Gomez & Marshmello
This is one of those weird songs where I don't really think I like it - and then the chorus comes and I can't stop tapping along.

5. Future Me Hates Me - The Beths
An indie band from New Zealand? Sign me up! :-D

6. Warrior - Steven Curtis Chapman
So I fall on my knees and I fight like a warrior
I am a warrior on my knees

The movie "War Room" was one of my best new discoveries this year (Thank you, Nina!) and I thought it had an amazing soundtrack. This is one of my favourite songs from it - no surprise, as I've loved Steven Curtis Chapman ever since I first discovered him back in 1996.

7. So Am I - Ava Max
I have no idea why I like this as much as I do.

8. Baby - Clean Bandit feat. Marina & Luis Fonsi
It's almost a tradition by now that I have to add at least one song by Clean Bandit to my yearly playlist. Of course it also helps that I quite like Marina too.

9. Sweet but Psycho - Ava Max
Soo.... apparently I just really like Ava Max? Her music appeals to me in a way I hadn't expected.

10. Another in the Fire - Hillsong
There’s a grace when the heart is under fire
Another way when the walls are closing in
And when I look at the space between
Where I used to be and this reckoning
I know I will never be alone

No yearly playlist of mine would be complete without at least one Hillsong entry. I absolutely adore this one. "There was another in the fire, standing next to me."

11. Popular Song - Mika & Ariane Grande
Inspired by "Popular" from "Wicked". I actually had quite a few songs by Mika on my list, but in the end this is definitely my favourite.

12. Chameleon - Michaela
I can't make one of these playlists and not have at least one song from the ESC featured on it. This was Malta's entry.

13. Love is Forever - Leonara
The Danish entry to ESC. It's got an odd nostalgic feel which I just loved from the first time I heard it. Also, in this international world I'm quietly pleased that she included a few lines in Danish ;-)

14. Spirit in the Sky - Keiino
Norway's entry. A fun mix of genres with the stereotypical ESC pop interspersed with a Sami chorus. It didn't do too well with the public in general, but I loved it.

15. She Got Me - Luca Hänni
Switzerland's entry and my personal favourite. It's got SUCH a NKOTB vibe which is definitely a good thing in my books :-D

16. Completely - Ledger
From who I was, who I am, and who I'll be
I am changed, I am Yours eternally

An awesome song of worship. Once again, I can't remember how I found this - I really need to start jotting these things down! :-P

17. Rebels - Influence Music
You can find me with the sinners
The rebels and the dreamers
Those hidden in the darkness
A glimpse of light
Take me where it hurts the hardest
How dangerous Your love is
You can find me with the sinners
Where You gave Your life

Simon - a colleague of mine, who also happens to be a Christian - has taken to recommending new songs he finds to me. Some of them aren't really my style. Others - like this one - are spot on! I love it!

18. Reason - Unspoken
This year's felt like four seasons of winter
And you’d give anything you think to feel the sun
Always reaching, always climbing
Always second guessing the timing
But God has a plan, a purpose in this
You are His child and don't you forget

Really can't remember how I found this... might have been Simon again, or it might have been Spotify's "Top Christian songs" channel. Either way, it has the most amazing lyrics.

19. Beyond the Gates - For All Eternity
You were before and You are right now, You forever will be here with me.
Really slow start, but once it gets going, I love it. Especially when I stop to listen to the lyrics. Another recommendation from Simon.

20. Friends - Marshmello & Anne-Marie
Proof that you can find random likes anywhere! This song was used in a commercial (can't even remember which one any longer), and I immediately got out SoundHound to figure out what on earth the song was :-D A song about how ANNOYING we find it when others complain about being 'friendzoned'.

21. Believer - Imagine Dragons
Another totally random find... this one thanks to Lars. We'd been watching the new "Murder on the Orient Express" movie and when it was over, Lars complained that one of the songs from the trailer wasn't in the movie! (I NEVER pay attention to stuff like that, but he's really good at it). He found the trailer and both of us immediately fell for the song. It's definitely not my usual fare, but there's something about the beat that just appeals so much to me.

22. Storm - Victor Crone
This was also an ESC entry... I know, I know - I get a LOT of my musical inspiration from there. What can I say, guess I really am a pop-girl at heart ;)

23. Like It - Zena
I've come to realize that there's a certain sound that's totally different from what I'm usually drawn to, but if it's done *just* right, I absolutely love it. I'm not yet at the point where I can recognize it ahead of time, but there have definitely been a few songs with the same kind of vibe on my playlists over the years.

24. Fibs (Løgn & Latin) - KNA Connected
At the high school reunion back in August, I realized that the musical career of one of my class mates had been a LOT more successful than I'd ever realized. I knew Khalil (the 'K' of KNA) had published a few singles (some solo, some with KNA Connected), but that was as far as my knowledge went. Turns out he'd played concerts at pretty large venues and received 2 gold and 1 platin records! Anyway, some of the others put on this song at the reunion and got Khalil to sing his part. I love that I can actually recognize his laughter in it! Khalil is a great guy and this is guaranteed to make me smile whenever I hear it.

25. Joyride - Roxette
Roxette - and the Joyride Album in particular - made for the soundtrack to my tweens / early teens. I never got to see them in concert, and with the recent death of Marie Fredriksson, I've had to take that off my bucket list. But in honour of her and the memories Roxette's songs bring, I had to add one of their songs to this year's playlist.

26. Unwrap My Heart - Marie Lind
Okay, so I'm like crazily biased since Marie has been a dear friend of mine for 25 years by now, but I totally love this new Christmas song she put out last month :-D So of course I have to add it here. It's happy and foot-tappy and Christmassy as and just plain awesome!!

No comments: