31 Dec 2022

Top Ten Books I Read in 2022

Unfortunately it's been a bit of a "meh" reading year, with the best books being rereads, but I did manage to find some books that deserve a mention :-)

In no particular order...

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle - Stuart Turton (also published as "7½ deaths..."). I didn't know I needed a time-travelling detective in my Agatha Christie'esque novels, but it totally worked. This became the book I've recommended the most all year.
The Inaugural Meeting of the Fairvale Ladies Book Club - Sophie Green I came for the title, I stayed for the setting. Those of you who watched "Flying Doctors" back in the 90s will definitely see shades of Cooper's Crossing.
The Christmas Bookshop - Jenny Colgan. Such a charming book! And the fact that it was set in Edinburgh didn't hurt at all.
Heartstopper - Alice Oseman I liked the TV series a tiiiiny bit more, but the books are super cute too!
The Inheritance Games - Jennifer Lynn Barnes I read the first one in a day! Simply couldn't put it down. Right up my aisle with all the riddles along the way. I loved book two as well, and am really hoping book three lives up to it :-D
Beach Read - Emily Henry Emily Henry has been a bit hit and miss for me (I did not care for "People We Meet On Vacation" at all), but this one was terrific. Really sweet, and the people actually COMMUNICATED for once! Gasp!
One of Us is Lying - Karen M. McManus Surprisingly good YA crime novel. It captured my attention completely, and I immediately went out to find the next book in the series.
Midlife Magic - Victoria Danann The shortest 500 page book I've ever read! I loved book 2 as well, but after that lost a bit of interest, unfortunately. I may pick up the series again eventually.
No Roses in June - Essie Summers "The Sound of Music"(first half) set in New Zealand? What's not to like!
On the Island - Tracey Garvis-Graves Another book I finished in a day. While I can see its flaws, it just worked for me. Robinson Crusoe'esque plots always fascinate me, and this was no exception. I read it as an e-book and immediately added it to my physical library.

No comments: